Skip to main content

STATE v. POWELL (1998)

Supreme Court of Vermont.

STATE of Vermont v. Peter Jay POWELL (Walter G. French, Esq., Appellant).

No. 98-303.

Decided: December 21, 1998



Defendant's counsel in this criminal case seeks to appeal from the district court's order denying his motion to withdraw.   Because the order he seeks to appeal from is not a final appealable order, the appeal is dismissed.   See In re Burlington Bagel Bakery, Inc., 150 Vt. 20, 21, 549 A.2d 1044, 1045 (1988) (final and appealable order must end litigation on merits or conclusively determine rights of parties, leaving nothing for court to do but execute judgment);  Messih v. Lee Drug, Inc., 174 Cal.App.3d 312, 220 Cal.Rptr. 43, 45 (1985) (ruling on attorney's motion to withdraw is nonappealable interim order);  cf. Chaker v. Chaker, 147 Vt. 548, 548 n. *, 520 A.2d 1005, 1006 n * (1986) (applying V.R.A.P. 2 to review as interlocutory appeal trial court's ruling on attorney's motion to withdraw);  19 J. Moore, Moore's Federal Practice 202.11[8][b], at 61 (3d ed.1998) (given related decisions by United States Supreme Court, orders denying disqualification of attorneys in criminal cases are most likely not appealable under final judgment rule).

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes

A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Go to Learn About the Law
STATE v. POWELL (1998)

Docket No: No. 98-303.

Decided: December 21, 1998

Court: Supreme Court of Vermont.

Get a profile on the #1 online legal directory

Harness the power of our directory with your own profile. Select the button below to sign up.

Sign up

Learn About the Law

Get help with your legal needs

FindLaw’s Learn About the Law features thousands of informational articles to help you understand your options. And if you’re ready to hire an attorney, find one in your area who can help.

Learn more about the law
Copied to clipboard